A Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC) sets out the energy efficiency rating of a building or area of a building that is offered for sale, lease or sublease.

BEECs contain two parts:

Part 1 consists of a National Australian Built Environment Rating System (NABERS) Energy for offices rating for the building — The NABERS Energy for offices rating provides information on the building’s energy efficiency. It must be a base or whole building rating (a whole building rating also covers the tenanted space and is disclosed if there is inadequate metering to obtain a base building rating). For more information see NABERS Energy for Offices star ratings

Part 2 consists of a CBD Tenancy Lighting Assessment (TLA) for the area of the building that is being sold, leased or subleased. The TLA is an assessment of tenancy lighting that measures the power density of the installed general lighting system. For more information see Tenancy lighting assessments

Standard energy efficiency guidance information previously included on the last 6 pages of the BEEC is now provided online. This includes information on how building owners and tenants might improve a building's energy efficiency and allow the CBD team to provide relevant and targeted energy efficiency information to building owners.

The Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) Program requires most sellers and lessors of office space of 1000 square metres or more to have an up-to-date Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC). This is necessary to comply with legal obligations under the Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Act 2010.

Only CBD accredited assessors can apply for a BEEC on behalf of building owners or lessors. For more information, see How to get a BEEC.

Note: the CBD Program does not require a comprehensive energy audit. However, an energy audit is an important part of developing a cost effective energy efficiency improvement program as it includes an inspection, survey and analysis of energy flows, for energy conservation.