The Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) Program applies when most office space of 1000 square metres or more is being:

  • sold
  • leased
  • subleased.

It requires most sellers and lessors to obtain a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC) before the building or area of the building goes on the market for sale, lease or sublease.

BEECs must be provided on request to potential buyers or lessees at the time of sale, lease or sublease. BEECs must also be publicly accessible on the Building Energy Efficiency Register.

The building’s NABERS Energy for offices star rating (contained in the BEEC) must also be included in any advertising material for the sale, lease or sublease.

For more information about specific legal obligations under the program and the Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Act 2010, see How do I comply?

To find out about exceptions and exemptions to the CBD Program, see Exceptions and Exemptions.

Where to from here?

Find out more